Fort Kyk-Over-Al is located at the confluences of the Essequibo, Mazaruni and Cuyuni Rivers. The fort was established on a 6070 square metres (1.5 acres) island bordered by the three rivers. It was the second Dutch trading outpost in Essequibo; the first was located in Pomeroon and was established in the late 1500s.
The first outpost at the location, many historians believe was built by the Spanish but there are a few who dispute this claim and believes that it was actually built by the Portuguese . This structure was then replaced by the Dutch, circa 1616, with a permanent building and was outfitted with small guns. The outpost was named Fort ter Hoogen, after an influential Dutch businessman. The first commandeur of the fort was Adrian Groenwegel (1616-1624), who aided in the construction of the outpost.
Article from http://nationaltrust.gov.gy/fort-kyk-over-al/