The Promenade Gardens is located on a portion of what was once a field known as Parade Ground, where slaves convicted of being involved in the 1823 East Coast Rebellion were hanged. Originally, the entire area was used for military parades and training.
Occupying one city block, with its main entrance located on Middle Street in Cummingsburg, the Promenade Gardens was designed by a Trinidadian botanist.
The Bandstand situated within the Gardens was erected in commemoration of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
Completed in 1897, it is considered the oldest bandstand of three in the city.
A well-known monument in the Garden is the Mahatma Ghandi monument in honour of the international icon of peace and advocator of non-violence.
Along with several fountains and an arched walkway, a recent construction in the Gardens, is the Arya Samaj Monument erected in 2011.
It has been suggested that the Promenade Gardens at one time boasted the largest range of wild orchids in the Caribbean before it fell into disrepair during the 80s and 90s.
Articles from https://www.guyanatimesinternational.com/?p=22653