Fort Nassau was established in 1627 as a Dutch trading post. The remains of the fort is located approximately 88 kilometres (55 miles), from the mouth of the Berbice River (right bank) and borders Torani Creek. The fort was first managed privately by the Van Pere family, led by Abraham Van Pere, a director of the Zeeland Chamber of the West Indian Company (WIC) or Geoctroyeerde Westindische Compagnie (WIC) which was founded in 1621. The first location of the fort is believed to be near the Wiruni River and it was described as a small timber enclosure surrounded by a small cannon and palisades.
Article from http://nationaltrust.gov.gy/fort-nassau/